HISTORY OF THE BANK
2 CASTLE STREET, EYE
2 CASTLE STREET, EYE
Images above: Midlands Bank, 2 Castle Street c. 1970 © HSBC archive
|
HISTORY | 1800 - 2006
1800's - Photographs of Eye town centre show the building on the site at 2 Castle Street as Gissing’s General Assurance Office. An illustrated advert from the period announces Walter Hunt taking ownership from Henry J. Barnes. 1921 - the beautiful building we have today was built 1923 - The Bank at 2 Castle Street began trading as London Joint City and Midlands Bank 1971 - The Bank at 2 Castle Street was granted Grade II listed status by Historic England. 1999 - Midlands Bank went on to become a member of HSBC Group and 2 Castle Street eventually began trading as such. 2006 - after 85 years of trading as a Bank, the premises closed permanently. The Bank remained untouched for the next 6 years. |
A NEW BEGINNING | 2012
2012, a group of 4 local creatives established Eyes Open CIC as a not-for-profit Community Interest Company driven to providing rural mid-Suffolk with inclusive access to the arts and learning. The team began leasing The Bank along with significant renovations to transform it into an Arts Centre.
2015 - With government funding and incredible donations and support from members of the community, Eyes Open CIC purchased The Bank on behalf of the community, ensuring the centre remained a safe, exciting and inspiring space for all to socialise and create.
2016 - The founding Directors parted ways and the centre passed through through multiple subsequent managements.
THE NEXT CHAPTER | 2022 - PRESENT
2022 - The Vault Digital Hub opened. Based in our basement-level strong room, the Team secured Back to Business funding to re-develop the unused space into an industry-standard Digital Learning Hub. Since opening, over 1000 Children and Young People have participated in digital learning opportunities.
New board of Directors joined the team and began an ambitious phased re-development of the Centre to transform it back into a much needed community hub.
2025 - The Main Hall's 25+ year old florescent lighting was upgraded to energy efficient LED. The project included upgrading overhead lighting and installing new exhibition spotlighting and bar lighting. The project was funded by Babergh & Mid Suffolk District Council, UK Shared Prosperity Fund via HM Government & Green Suffolk.
After inspections identified significant damage to the Main Building's original Sandstone Chimney, repairs were completed with funding from Babergh & Mid Suffolk District Council Community Development Fund, Alfred Williams Charitable Trust, and Lord Belstead Charitable Trust.
The Campbell Gallery opened. Funded by The Abbey Foundation, the side gallery was renovated to continue supporting growing exhibitions programme and arts platform.








